… so clearly this hiatus is entirely witless. Whoops. Back at the start of April, I wrote that, “This particularly hiatus might last slightly longer than planned,” but I don’t think I expected it to last until July. Finals hit me harder than expected, and even since my exams finished, things have been non-stop.
A few updates, for those who don’t follow my main blog (which has also been somewhat neglected):
- I got a First in my degree, which was a huge surprise and relief. I worked super hard for it, but I also never quite believed it was possible, so I nearly cried when I saw the result.
- I went to Skye for a Celtic Studies conference and met lots of awesome nerds
- I went to Limerick for an Irish dance summer school, which was challenging but exciting
- I competed in several more Irish dance competitions and did pretty well, so I think there’s definitely been progress there.
- I’m about 70% of the way through a major redraft of Butterfly of Night, a book I first wrote in 2014. It’s killing me, but I’m getting there.
- I’m currently looking for a job, and frankly job hunting is the worst. I have quite a lot of skills but not enough experience, which keeps being a barrier — I’ve had some really positive interview feedback, but it always ends with some variant of the phrase: “We chose someone who had more experience.” Sigh. Time to volunteer in more libraries.
I’ve still been reading, and I’ve written a few good reviews on Goodreads (and many brief, incomplete ones…), so I hope that I can cross-post those here now that things are finally beginning to settle down. That said, it’ll probably still be a while before the blog is fully back in business. Sorry about that.
Thanks to any of you who are still here despite my extended disappearance. I’ll try not to let that happen again, even if it means posting less frequently so that I can keep reviews regular. If there’s anything in particular you’d like to see as I return to blogging, let me know!